SaneScientist



name- SaneScientist
location- England
View My Complete Profile
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Blogging Brits code adapted by
Liam's World

Top of the British Blogs
Blogarama - The Blogs Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine


My blog is worth $13,548.96.
How much is your blog worth?


African children have died of poverty since you loaded this page.
Visit www.MakePovertyHistory.org

The Blogosphere

Friday, January 28, 2005

Orders of Magnitude

Molecular Biology really distorts your sense of numbers.

As a molecular biologist I deal with some truly massive numbers - and some incredibly small ones. Take a few random numbers from my lab book and you'll see a truly mind-boggling range of numbers. Take DNA for example. I was recently extracting some yeast DNA to perform a procedure called a southern blot. Speaking to the colleague who was holding my hand as I performed the procedure for the first time, I questioned how much DNA I would need.
"How much have you got?" he replied
"I've got a couple of hundred microgrammes"
"Blimey, that's shit loads, you'll have no problems".
A microgramme is one millionth of a gramme. I therefore had two hundred millionths of a gramme. That is the most DNA I have ever had, by a long shot. Normally, I regard 100 nanogrammes (100 billionths of a gramme) as loads. When I start a PCR reaction to amplify some DNA of interest, I routinely start with as little as 1 nanogramme (1 billionth of a gramme), yet the machine I use can be seeded with less than a picogramme (1 trilionth of gramme). The total genomic content of brewers yeast is about 0.9 picogramme per cell. In standard index form that's 9 times 10 to the -16 grammes or a 9 with 15 zeros between it and the decimal point.

Take the other extreme. I grow yeast cells overnight in a flask containing 50 millilitres of nutrient broth. I take a tiny pinhead of white, slimy-looking cells and add them to the broth. By the following morning I have a cloudy broth about the consistency of a strong cup of coffee with plenty of milk. If I leave them growing, by the same time the next evening I have a yellowish solution about the same consistency as tomato soup. At this point there are about 300 million individual yeast cells per millilitre. That's about 15 billion in total in a 50 ml flask. In standard index form that's 1.5 times 10 to the 10. Some coworkers use fermenters. They run them for days at a time. The largest fermenters we have on our bench hold about 2 litres. By the end of the experiment they have almost 1 billion cells per millilitre of culture times 2 litres. That's 2 x10^12 cells in total.

In just one lab book I can range from experiments involving numbers to the negative 16th power to numbers with a positve 12th power. That's 28 orders of magnitude in other words the difference between the number 1 and the number 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). With the sole exception perhaps of high energy particle physicists who talk about planck lengths (10^-35 metres) and in the next sentence discuss Giga Electronvolts (10^9), I doubt there are any other scientists or indeed workers whose daily vocabulary encompasses such a wide range of numbers. And where the hell else would one regard 200 millionths of a gramme as "Shitloads"?

Whilst we're on the subject, drug dealers have nothing on biological suppliers when it comes to charging lots of money for a piddling amount. In a recent TV documentary, someone claimed that a gramme of decent cocaine on the street costs about £35. I have no idea how accurate that its, but it basically puts class A drugs in the ballpark of £10's of pounds per gramme. Last week I ordered a special enzyme from a standard biological supplier. It cost the British taxpayer the princely sum of £192. This is sightly above the average cost for this class of enzymes but not so much that I took a sharp intake of breath - unfortunately it was essential that I bought this specific enzyme (I did try to get a cheaper one honest!). For your money I received a tube containing 20 microlitres (that's 20 millionths of a litre or two raindrops) of clear fluid. Assuming that 1 ml of that fluid weighs one gramme (it doesn't since it isn't pure water - but its close enough) that means that a well-known (at least to biologists) supplier of enzymes had just charged me the equivalent of £9,600 per gramme for a clear liquid.

But it gets better - that clear liquid is just glycerol to protect the enzyme when its stored in the freezer. In actual fact, the amount of enzyme (the stuff I actually want) is so small to be almost immeasurable. If I were to remove all of the liquid and weigh the enzyme, the cost for one gramme would, I estimate, exceed the entire federal budget of the United States for a year.

What a shame they can't wrap it in tinfoil and sell it on the street...

PS I would just like to point out that these companies are not duping dumb biologists into paying breathtaking amounts for something that costs pennies to make. The cost of extracting just a few molecules of this stuff, then refining it and testing it is astronomical. These companies make a healthy profit to be sure, but their profit margins are no bigger than any major food or soft drink manufacturer.

Award-small

FOR YOUR PERUSAL


BBC News
NewScientist Online
The Onion
InkyCircus

ARCHIVES

January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com
Copyleft 2005-2006 SaneScientist Creative Commons Licence
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

The Tuesday Twat Archive

BBC NEWS HEADLINES

Powered by RSS Digest All content copyright BBC 2006.