SaneScientist



name- SaneScientist
location- England
View My Complete Profile
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Blogging Brits code adapted by
Liam's World

Top of the British Blogs
Blogarama - The Blogs Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine


My blog is worth $13,548.96.
How much is your blog worth?


African children have died of poverty since you loaded this page.
Visit www.MakePovertyHistory.org

The Blogosphere

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Things that go bump in the lab...

Is my lab haunted? That's the question I've been asking myself for the past few weeks. It's a fairly new building, built on what was a car park - but if there's one thing that Poltergeist has taught me, those pesky Injuns bury their dead all over the place.

Often I work late at night, the lights are turned down in the other half of the lab and the aircon cycles down. It gets very quiet...

Now I say quiet - that's not strictly true. Labs are full of dozens of bits of kit that run 24/7. From the whirr of PC cooling fans to the gurgle of the PFGE tank, to the damned squeak of the vacuum pump, the lab is a cacophany of small noises. But these are all familiar and constant.

A few weeks ago I was pulling an all nighter. Dido had finished playing and I had my hands full.

*Shuffle-thump*.

I looked up so fast my neck cracked. Nothing.

I figured that maybe one of the security guards had just poked his head in to check everything was OK and not wanted to disturb me.

The next night the same thing happened. Twice, about half an hour apart.

Now it may be because Michael Jackson's Thriller has just been voted best music video ever. Or maybe watching the Evil Dead when pissed affected me more than I thought. But it occured to me that *Shuffle-thump* is not dissimilar to the noise that a zombie makes just before it appears from nowhere to suck your brains out.

However, I am a SaneScientist and I don't believe in that sort of crap.

But still...

Award-small

FOR YOUR PERUSAL


BBC News
NewScientist Online
The Onion
InkyCircus

ARCHIVES

January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com
Copyleft 2005-2006 SaneScientist Creative Commons Licence
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

The Tuesday Twat Archive

BBC NEWS HEADLINES

Powered by RSS Digest All content copyright BBC 2006.