SaneScientist



name- SaneScientist
location- England
View My Complete Profile
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Blogging Brits code adapted by
Liam's World

Top of the British Blogs
Blogarama - The Blogs Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine


My blog is worth $13,548.96.
How much is your blog worth?


African children have died of poverty since you loaded this page.
Visit www.MakePovertyHistory.org

The Blogosphere

Monday, August 29, 2005

OK, now I'm starting to worry...

Thursday September the 1st is the day that I have to move out of my current apartment. I still have no firm offers of a place. I am still waiting to hear back from two houses as to whether I have been "accepted", and I have to be "interviewed" again. So in the meantime I have been trying to find a backup plan. Friday and Saturday, I telephoned over a dozen advertisers. Two-thirds didn't answer the phone, so I left either a voicemail or sent an email. None have replied. The third that did answered said that the room had already gone. One particularly candid individual said that the room had gone "weeks ago" but he couldn't be arsed to take the advert down "it'll disapear eventually". WTF? You lazy shit! One woman agreed to a houseviewing on sunday. She has since switched her mobile off and is not replying to my voicemails.

Tomorrow, I am taking a trip to the local launderette where I am told there is a noticeboard that people advertise vacancies on. The problem is it is in the middle of studentville, and I need a professional let. Quite aside from not wanting to live with students again (students don't tend to keep 9 to 5 hours, and with freshers week coming up, there is a good chance that I will be spending the next few weeks with a pillow over my head trying to drown out drunken partying in the wee hours), there are also complications such as council tax status if I am the only professional in a house full of exempt students.

With the bank holiday weekend, it is harder to arrange house viewings. I did notice that one house I turned down has been readvertised. I will have to see if I can persuade the advertiser to reconsider me. It was the area that turned me off, not them. I suspect that I may get a short sharp "fuck off".

One of the houses that I am waiting to hear from has a few more complications. Most notably, the current occupant has decided to go away to scotland the day before the move. We will have to try and co-ordinate him moving out and me moving in simultaneously. I don't know why he has done that - it may be a family emergency of course - but I can't help but think it is lousy planning.

On the plus side, when I was looking up prices for van rental, I found that renting a long-base transit for the day will cost me £48 plus about £20 as insurance waiver, plus petrol - however I have found a guy who will help me move (and is willing to hump stuff up stairs!) for about £65! The only downside being that it has to be in and out, so that guy who is traveling to scotland better pull his finger out and vacate the room quickly.

Quite what I will do if I can't find anywhere is definately starting to stress me out. I suppose that I could probably find someone in the lab who will let me dump my stuff in their garage and kip on their couch, but it is a hell of an imposition. I will also have to wave goodbye to the leafletting that I was planning on doing to earn some cash. Help from mum and dad is all but impossible, with neither of them able to take time off work to help me. As a further complication, my household insurance has expired and I can't renew it until I have a new address. I'm absolutely fucked if all of my stuff is nicked out the back of the van.

I really could do without this stress.

Award-small

FOR YOUR PERUSAL


BBC News
NewScientist Online
The Onion
InkyCircus

ARCHIVES

January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com
Copyleft 2005-2006 SaneScientist Creative Commons Licence
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

The Tuesday Twat Archive

BBC NEWS HEADLINES

Powered by RSS Digest All content copyright BBC 2006.