SaneScientist



name- SaneScientist
location- England
View My Complete Profile
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Blogging Brits code adapted by
Liam's World

Top of the British Blogs
Blogarama - The Blogs Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine


My blog is worth $13,548.96.
How much is your blog worth?


African children have died of poverty since you loaded this page.
Visit www.MakePovertyHistory.org

The Blogosphere

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Tuesday Twat(s)

No. 50. TV Chefs

OK, so just how many fucking cookery programmes do we need on TV? Seriously, the damn things make Reality TV shows and Home "Improvement" shows seem like a rare and precious treat.

A quick look at my waistline will provide ample evidence that I have nothing against food in general, particularly as a consumer, and I realise that we all have to learn to cook somewhere - but christ on a crutch, just how many hours of programming a week do we need dedicated to the subject? And just when did these chefs become celebrities in their own right? And equally important, just why are they all such pricks? Be honest, who here would really like to spend an hour in the company of Jamie Oliver, Anthony Worral-Thompson, Delia Smith or Gary Rhodes? And don't get me started on Ainsley Fucking Harriot. Twenty minutes locked in a room with him and a whisk and I promise you only one of us would ever be able to sit down again and the whisk would be lost forever.

Now maybe it's the scientist in me, but why do we need all of the crap that surrounds these programmes? All I want to do is be given a recipe, a few insider tips (like sticking drained potatoes back in the hot pan when mashing them to make them more fluffy) and left to get on with it. However, so desperate are the programme makers to make something original and interesting that they go to extraordinary lengths to make what is basically a Home Ed lesson interesting. Newsflash! it ain't going to be! The current new kids on the block are apparently the "Hairy Bikers", with their own eponymous show. They are cooks who are - wait for it, you'll never guess this I swear! - Hairy Bikers!

The most recent example (and the one which caused me to put back the planned Twat post for this week until a later date) occured on Saturday morning. I was waiting for my parents to arrive (more about that in a later post on the joys of Ikea) and channel hopping. I stumbled across what appeared to be a documentary on ancient Egyption mummies. That might be interesting I thought (more interesting than Pokemon or whatever bollocks was showing on the other side anyways). After a few moments, I got up and turned my back to boil the kettle. I look back... Keith Fucking Floyd showing us how to make Egyptian Baclava. Bloody Hell Fire! (Piece of piss by the way, from what I could tell). Is no where safe from sodding cookery programmes?

The most interesting thing though, is that despite presumably high ratings - otherwise, why make so many variants - it seems unlikely that professionals in the catering industry watch them. I know quite a few chefs, ranging from a mate who does pub lunches down my local, to an uncle who knows his way around some of the most famous kitchens in London's West End. Not one of them have ever watched any of these TV shows. Indeed, my uncle once described Delia Smith as "shite".

And so I duly award TV Chefs the 50th Tuesday Twat Award. But they'll have to share it as there isn't enough cheap plastic in the world to make one for each of them.

Labels:

Award-small

FOR YOUR PERUSAL


BBC News
NewScientist Online
The Onion
InkyCircus

ARCHIVES

January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com
Copyleft 2005-2006 SaneScientist Creative Commons Licence
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

The Tuesday Twat Archive

BBC NEWS HEADLINES

Powered by RSS Digest All content copyright BBC 2006.